We are a friendly practice with 2 male doctors and 4 female doctors working from purpose-built pleasant premises. We have the benefit of highly skilled nurses, staff and attached staff. We provide a comprehensive range of high quality General Practice services.
We look after approximately 10,000 patients in an area of approximately 2 miles in radius around the surgery. The area includes Swaythling, Highfield, Bassett, Portswood and Chilworth. The area covers most of the University Halls of Residence. The surgery is in walking distance of Montefiore, Stoneham House, Chamberlain and Glen Eyre Halls of Residence. The Surgery is close to the University of Southampton.
Burgess Road Surgery is the closest GP surgery to Montefiore, Stoneham House and Connaught Halls of Residence.
In June 1998 we moved into the present new spacious purpose- built premises. The building is at ground level making it fully accessible for the disabled. There is a tranquil spacious waiting room with a lovely enclosed courtyard. There are 5 modern consulting rooms and 3 treatment rooms one of which is also used as the Minor Surgery room. The surgery is fully computerised. There is limited parking space with reserved area for disabled parking. In 1998 the Surgery premises were nominated for the Best NHS Premises.
A Brief History of the Practice
1920's to 1950's
In the 1920's Dr Seymour practiced as a GP in a single handed surgery above 222 Burgess Road. Dr MacDonagh was a GP on Langhorn Road at about the same time. In the 1930's Dr MacDonagh was called up to the Army during the 2nd World War. Dr Seymour continued the practice for Dr MacDonagh. At the end of the war Dr MacDonagh returned and continued in his separate practice.
1950's to 1960's
- In 1958 Dr Seymour retired and Dr White took over the practice.
- In 1961 Dr Adcock took over Langhorn Road from Dr MacDonagh. He developed arrangements with Dr White and with Stoneham Lane surgery.
- In 1965 Dr White moved from 222 Burgess Road to 230 Burgess Road.
- In 1970 Dr White and Dr Adcock formed a partnership and worked from 230 Burgess Road.
- In 1974 Dr Goodall joined the Burgess Road Surgery. In 1976 Dr White left the practice leaving Dr Adcock and Dr Goodall to continue at 230 Burgess Road.
- In 1978 Dr Thaker joined Dr Adcock and Dr Goodall.
- In 1981 the premises at 230 Burgess Road were expanded.
- In 1989 Dr Goodall left and he was replaced by Dr Dave.
- In 1990 Dr Adcock retired after practising at Burgess Road Surgery for nearly 30 years.
- In 1991 Dr Thaker and Dr Dave were joined by Dr Bhatt. The 3 doctors continued in the practice at 230 Burgess Road until 1998.
- In 1998 Burgess Road Surgery moved premises to the present purpose built premises at 357a Burgess Road. The premises had previously been a church hall of St Albans church which is still physically attached to the Surgery.
- In 1998 Dr Angela Hall joined the Surgery as a GP assistant.
- In year 2000 Dr Angela Hall joined Dr Thaker, Dr Dave and Dr Bhatt as a partner.
- In 2014 Dr Thaker retired. Dr Gabi and Dr Shetty joined Burgess Road Surgery.
- In 2018 Dr Dave retired. Dr Hunter and Dr Cooper joined Burgess Road Surgery.
We encourage patients to give us feedback on their experiences at the practice.
Functional Cookies are enabled by default at all times so that we can save your preferences for cookie settings and ensure site works and delivers best experience.
3rd Party Cookies
This website uses Google Analytics to collect anonymous information such as the number of visitors to the site, and the most popular pages.
Keeping this cookie enabled helps us to improve our website.